Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pictures of Machakos, Kenya

The Burning City
This is a little village next to Scott Theological College in Machakos. They call it the burning city because some years back it caught on fire. We would pass through here to and from Kisooni Church. I felt like I was a part of a parade or something every time we passed through. Kids would always come up and want to touch you. I think I might have been the 1st black American they ever saw. One day and few of us girls went for a walk and we had a whole parade of kids follow us back to the campus. They even sang for us and begged for us to come back.

Scott Theological College Campus

This was the lovely view that I saw everyday at ABO. It's even more breath taking at night. There's people who live all the way up that hill. I was told that they just received electricity about a year ago.

Me on Our Hill Walk

Us ABOers went on a hike up the hill....Praise the Lord, I'm still living!

Me and Megan taking off on the Walk

It was about at this point where I realized that I so wore the wrong shoes!

People hard at work!

On our way up the hill we ran into these people doing something with rocks. It was hard to understand but I think they are making something for water filters. As we kept walking I heard a rustling in the bushes. There was this small petite women climbing up the hill carrying at least 5-10 gallons of water! Man, I am so blessed to have running water whenever I want. Speaking of water...those of you in the US...come to Africa and you would so appreciate the luxury of water. There were a few days that we planned to do laundry or take a shower but couldn't because there was no water. We also had power outages. And the Internet...huh, that's a whole nother blog!

3 comments:

mavivye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mavivye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mavivye said...

Thats so nice work....I come from next to Burns City...know the place so well