Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Life of a Missionary!

Jambo!

That's about all the Swahili I know. Please pray that I pick up the language because I don't think I can make it around East Africa for 4 years with just knowing how to say hi! Anyways, today is the day that we go to Machakos for ABO (Africa Based Training). We were all told that the internet connection in Machakos was horrible so we're all in the lobby trying to get all our emails sent out with laptops. It's quite funny to look at. I guess that's the life of a missionary.

Yesterday we went out into the town to exchange money. When you look at their money you think, "Man I'm rich!” Then you do some calculations and realize that it cost $4 for deodorant. So, really it’s all about even. So much for thinking I was catching up with Donald Trump. Nairobi is not what I thought it would be. Someone told me that Nairobi didn't look like Africa, they were wrong. The roads are congested, people walking everywhere, a hundred people in one cab (yes I'm exaggerating...but not by much), shops on the side of the roads, people cooking outside, ladies walking with their babies on their backs with million pound bags....the list goes on and on. The only thing I witnessed that wasn't so African was a man walking down the street in a full Spiderman costume. However, I think that's probably strange in America.


This morning as we were packing our bags, we got in the big conversation about worship. We all mentioned how through our struggles, we realized that they only way through it was worship. It's so much more than just singing a song in a church service. It’s a lifestyle. Worship is so powerful. In my own life, I have been so amazed at what miracles have happened through worship. I've seen people healed, delivered, and set free. And in my own life, I have had deep struggles and pains. It was through worship that God brought me through it all and delivered me from those things and gave me such strength. Truly being in His presence brings us so much joy and that joy of the Lord gives us great strength. God is truly our rock and refuge. In Him alone do I find true peace and rest. I am reminded of the scriptures in Psalms, "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge (Ps. 62:5-8)".

Mayfield Guesthouse (Nairobi, Kenya)

5 comments:

valerie loaiza fischer said...

:) you make me smile girl !!! what a wonderful idea to keep us all updated with pics on your blog ! thanks! i laughed when i read about your luggage , i know you were so worried about that , i;m happy! i am so happy for you!!! be careful and don't talk to any mexicans ! :) hehe....

pam said...

I love the you describe everything. It brings it all to life rather than just words ona screen. I love you and thank you for doing this! It was fun having you text me from Africa the other day! You're in my thoughts and prayers!

Unknown said...

JAMBO GIRL.....!!!
I'm so proud of you!! You made it and looking very busy trying to get that computer to work. I miss ya a bunch roommate. Its not the same not having you hear to go to the movies :) Reading your blog has uplifted my spirit in my trying to time at work. You are so right Worship is so powerful!! Sometimes we are caught up in our struggles and the enemy wants us to forget about worshiping and stay engulf in our struggles. May God continue to bless you!!!!

Unknown said...

Girl, I am so proud of you. I know most of our family doesn't understand what God has called you to do but just keep God at the center of your life and he will continue to direct your path. I will be reading this as much as possible!!! Remember Jerome and I plan to visit in the future.
Love you much and praying for you!
Vonnie

Roxanne said...

It has been soo awesome getting to knwo you over the last few weeks, I knwo God has uniquely gifted you & I look foward to seeing what He does thru yoru time in Dar- you are welcome in Z anytime :)